Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Farewell as a season of life

In the past two weeks I have had plenty of reason to ponder on how a life is spent and what I will leave behind one day. I am a procrastinator of note when it comes to putting of doing or completing a task. I always think I will have time, next week, next year, one day in the future. Two weeks ago a family friend Lester Mills  lost his battle with cancer. As I read his obituary I was struck by the fact that while this was a man who died young, he had lived a full life and made a great impact on those around him. I have been struck by the thought that God has never promised me a long life. In fact, I have never even been promised my next breath, only that He knows the number of my days. How can I then live as if I have all the tomorrows in the world to squander. I may have another 30 or 40 years left but I may die tomorrow and then what about all those should have,could have's? Surely it is better to try all the things that I fear or that seem hard while I still have today and the ability to live a full life? This does not mean that I am going to go out tomorrow and conquer Everest but I think it will mean that I will go out tomorrow and live, with God's help, a life of integrity, doing what He puts on my path and doing it to the best of my ability and, just maybe, starting some of those things that I fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment