Thursday, December 12, 2013

December days

 
As I listen to the gentle patter of summer rain on the roof, another Christmas holiday comes to mind, one of snow, freezing temperatures and covering myself up like a Michelin man in order to stay warm. Hot chocolate, nearly getting lost in blizzard while out skiing and tobogganing down a steep hill at breakneck speed. I loved living in Europe but a warm, wet African December with wild lightning strikes and thunder showers is really what summer holidays are about for me.

Another sweltering, soggy summer day here in "sunny" South Africa. I cannot believe the amount of rain we have had over the past few days. It makes it challenging with everybody at home at the moment, as we are all under each others feet the whole time and there is not really place for anybody to do anything. I have to be really creative in keeping the children busy while my husband retires to our bedroom to read when it all gets a bit too much ( a really good idea). However, with a bit of planning and a few visits to granny and grandpa, hopefully we will all start the new year rested and refreshed.

We are moving again and although I DREAD the move itself, I am so looking forward to a larger garden, a swimming pool and a separate play room for the children. Also a much larger kitchen, which will make the cake baking a lot easier. Also more space for entertaining, which I have done nothing of in the past 3 years.

I have indulged myself a bit these holidays and bought a Yankee candle. What bliss. I love the gentle, sweet smell throughout the lower level of the house. I have also bought a few new plates, bowls, cups and cutlery from Mr Price Home. Very pretty and they did not break the bank.

So, few bits and pieces from a warm and wet South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment