Monday, October 8, 2012

We're all going on a (short) summer holiday...


What a busy week. My husband was away at a week long conference,so I was left with the littlies. I promptly moved in with my folks for the week ( yes I am a coward) and it was lovely.It was also our last school holiday before the December break , so I decided to make it as fun as possible for all of us.On the Saturday before my husband left, we took the children to C'est la Vie play park in Centurion. We had a lot of fun on the go-carts, scooters and play  equipment.    This was rounded off by a yummy lunch involving lots of "mato sauce" at their coffee shop , by which time both children were drooping very visibly.

Natural History Museum


 While dad was away we visited the Natural History Museum, which was great fun, for about the first half hour. The children are still a bit small to really enjoy it but they were most impressed by the stuffed elephant and rhino and enjoyed the birds as well.

C'est la Vie play area
 We also visited a farm zoo, which was a total disaster, as the animals mobbed us for food and both children were fairly hysterical.

The kids spent hours in the blow -up pool at granny's house, racing down the driveway on their scooters and some serious bonding time with Buzz,Woody,Shrek and Barbie ( no , this is not a folk music band).  We also visited our favourite second hand book shop, Rutlands, where I came away with three of my favourite authors ( Debbie Crombie, Kathy Reichs and Sue Grafton ) and I found a very sweet book for the children called Russel the Sheep by Rob Scotton. If you have little ones, this is really a must buy. Russel cannot sleep and tries everything in his power to fall asleep. Nothing works until ( yes, you guessed it) Russel starts counting sheep. I managed to read FIVE books in my holiday, finish crocheting three birds for our Christmas market - see previous post-as well as complete my first "quiet book" page ( more on this later).

Another great entertainment for the kids was ( who knew?) a box of koki pens, some paper and a pair of scissors. This kept them busy for quite a long time, with one child drawing lovely colourful scribbles and the other reducing any piece of paper he could get hold of to confetti.We have had a very busy holiday but it helped keep our minds of the fact that my husband was away. This week it is back to work and school, with the December holidays seeming a long way away.

Have a great week

No comments:

Post a Comment